Sunday, December 29, 2013

The reason for the season!


As we come to the middle of this Holiday Season, I think it does all of good to reflect upon the reason  this time of year is so special.  It's not the presents, it's not the food, it's not the time spent with loved ones.

Yes, its true, there would be no Happy Holidays without sparkles!

Ok before you go and tell me how irreverent you think  I am, consider this:  Every year the world spends about 1.7 trillion dollars on wars and military spending. That is almost $250 per every person in this world. If they spent half of that on glitter, the world would be so sparkly and glamorous that there would be no need for war  or violence. I'm not making this shit up.   Have you ever tried to kill someone with $125 worth of glitter?  I rest my case.

Some people may think I have a problem, but they are overstating things. I am sure I haven't been the only mom to get a call from the school secretary to tell me  they found  glitter in my child's hair. It happens to all kinds of families.  It isn't a reflection on your respectability. 
I just cracked myself up with that last sentence. Get it? reflection...glitter !
This thing with glitter goes way back to my childhood. I blame  Carol Duvall. When I was a little girl  there was a TV show for crafts in Detroit called Here's Carol Duvall .  
I used to see it when I stayed home from school .  I had asthma and I had to stay home a lot. 
Almost every episode Carol did something with either Readers Digests or  glitter or both. 
Sometimes I pretended I was sicker then I actually was just to watch how you could use glitter in other  applications.

Carol knew, all it takes is glitter to transform something as mundane as the Readers Digest into something magical.  Glitter made everything magical.

 It was the only magical device available to me when I was a small girl. 
Thats what started it,  thats the thing that got me hooked.

When I was older I worried about my proclivity for sparkles. I hid it from a lot of people and only my closest friends knew.   As I have gotten older I  stopped caring who knew. You might find me with glitter out in the open in the middle of the day in a public place. I don't care. I invite you to join me.

It feels liberating.

In celebration of the season  of SPARKLE.

My glittery Snowbots are 25% off when you use the code sparkle  at checkout on both my website & my etsy  until January 5th 
 

Its not too late for a little sparkle!


3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on your glitter theory. And I'm pretty sure there was one of those Reader's Digest glitter trees in my house when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glitter makes me giggle in the best way! My eyes itch at the thought of glitter (I am guessing there was an eye to glitter incident in my youth) but I like your theory and respect your proclivity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glitter makes me giggle in the best way! My eyes itch at the thought of glitter (I am guessing there was an eye to glitter incident in my youth) but I like your theory and respect your proclivity.

    ReplyDelete