Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day


The end of summer and the celebration of labor. Time to put away your white shoes and get down to business before the chill of winter sets in.
I am reminded of the story of the grasshopper and the ants.
I also think about my labor. My life is centered around my labor. Like the ants, i know all too well that if I don't work, I don't eat.
My labor from my hands. Everything I do from my own hands. I think about my fathers hands, gnarled from arthritis like some kind of knotty tree branch. He labored hard and worked himself to death by the age of 67. I got a strong work ethic from him but also an awareness of the inequities and injustices of life. I heard him say once that if hard work made you rich we'd all be millionaires.
I am luckier then my father, my work is also my passion and the reason I feel alive.
So today I celebrate the labor of hands the things that are touched and shaped by people, mostly nameless, mostly poor and mostly hard working. Always aware that winter is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment