Thursday, April 07, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays


This is how my week started, a clusterfuck.
Monday morning I lifted the kiln lid only to find one of the support posts toppled during the firing and all my lovely little rows of beads collapsed onto each other and fused into a useless wreckage. Oh happy day.
I remind myself it could be worse. No one died and it's only clay. I only lost 1/3 of the kiln load. It could be worse. I remind myself that if this is the worst thing that happens to me today I will consider myself lucky.
It's really not that big of deal, but it does create a domino effect. These beads were for an order that was to be shipped Monday afternoon. They had to be redone, bisque fired, glazed and fired again, which takes time and makes me push everything else back a few days.
This is the story of my life- a few days behind on everything. No matter how carefully I plan I end up playing catch up with my deadlines.
I will try to look on the bright side. Since this is now a completely useless lump, I can call it ART and I can wear a cute little black beret. I like hats and nobody expects an artist to be on time.


8 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'd probably still be crying about it. But yes you are right it could be worse. Nice little sculpture you got now. Keep creating those lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curl and tuck those ends around and put a hat on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL
    I love this post. what a bummer but at least you've got the beret. because those are hella cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great attitude about it all! When this happens to me, I see it as an excuse for something fattening and potentially illegal in many states.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack! I do like the sea urchin sculptural aspect of it all, though. I had a kiln shelf crack in half on me last year when I was preparing a contest piece. It called for decent chocolate therapy. I highly recommend this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go to the bakery in Royal Oak and eat something. It's one of those WTF moments - but then, like my Dad used to say: "Breathe deep - count your blessings." He also told me to close my eyes and hop on one foot when I having a particularily bad "Poor me" moment. When I was exhausted and stopped he said, "Aren't you thankful you are not blind or crippled?" He made his point - big time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol....i have a couple of those sculptures too...I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crap! I know this happened a while ago but I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete